Saturday, November 25, 2006

"A sweet white woman down in Savannah, GA..."

So, I check Home of the Groove today, and there's a link to some James Booker concert clips on YouTube. I'm not a Booker expert at all, but I do like his take on "SJI" quite a bit, so, okay, I'll check those out. The link is to clips of Booker performing in France in 1978. And the lyrics of the first song catch my attention because they mention Savannah (where we recently moved). I don't always listen very closely to lyrics, but this time I did, and here's the first verse, to a very upbeat R&B-ish rolling tune:
There was a sweet white woman
Down in Savannah, GA.
She made love to my daddy
In front the KKK.

She made love to my daddy,
You know in front the KKK.
Yeah! Yeah!
Okay, so, you know, that got my attention. The song is called "Papa Was a Rascal." I ended up watching the clip about six times. Here it is:



It's quite a song. Couldn't find much information about it, but I recommend that you check it out. The lyrics are, in general, pretty strange. Here are the rest:

You know my papa went to Boston
And took a gangster's gal.
She stole away with my papa,
From old Italian Sal.

She stole away with my daddy,
You know from old Italian Sal
Yeah! Yeah!

When I was a young boy
About the age of nine
I found a sweet Prussian woman
You know I made her mine

I found a sweet Prussian woman
You know that I made her mine
Mine! Mine!

I found a sweet Prussian woman
You know that I mader her mine
Yeah!

You know my sister and my momma,
They both begin to say:
"You know we all better watch out
For the CIA."

I said we all gotta watch out
watch out for the CIA
Yeah Yeah.

We all better watch out
watch out for the CIA.

Oh well my papa was a preacher
He was a lover too
Well yes my papa was a rascal
Why can't I be one, too?

Well if my papa was a rascal,
Why can't I be one too?
Yeah!

You know my papa was a rascal,
Baby want to be one, too.



James Booker - Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah - Medley: Tico Tico/Papa Was a Rascal
The song also appears -- in a different performance of course -- on Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah, in a medly with "Tico Tico."

3 Comments:

Blogger Marco said...

Fine deep groove. Is there a SJI video of his?

4:56 PM  
Blogger rw said...

I was hoping there would be ... but no such luck!

8:48 AM  
Blogger TravelingMermaid said...

Cool - thanks for sharing.

11:45 AM  

<< Home